About my blog

I will talk about something interested me throughtout my exchange programs. Each country has some interesting essence :)

Monday

My life so far...

I have a very unique childhood.

I was born in Tokyo, Japan. However, since my father used to live in Chicago, my parents wanted me to become an international person instead of being typical Japanese. They knew the world was becoming more globalized and it would be good for me to know more than one language. So, I started learning English when I was two.

I liked learning English, and it became natural to me since I was learning it so long. As I liked English, I also liked to interact with foreigners and that was the reason how I become interested in learning different cultures.

When I was in fifth grade, I did my first exchange program to San Francisco, California. It was only two weeks stay, but I enjoyed experiencing different culture.

After that, I participated in many exchange programs. I spent a month in Sydney, Australia when I was in seventh grade. A month stay in Vancouver, Canada when I was in eighth grade.

Then, here comes the turning point in my life. I was chosen from my father’s company to become a full year exchange student.

The organization called Youth for Understanding game me full scholarship to my exchange program.
http://www.yfu.org/
I became an exchange student to Oakton High School in Oakton, Virginia when I was a sophomore in high school. To spend a year in America definitely changed myself.

It wasn’t easy to live in a country where nobody spoke your language. I was vexed at my own lack of knowledge of English and lack of courage to talk to people. However, to come to America to learn English and culture was my longtime dream. I knew that was what I wanted, so I never gave up. This experience gave me self-confidence that I could believe in myself to achieve what I want to do.

After I came back to Japan from one-year stay in America, I did an exchange program to Ireland for a month.
Then here I am today at George Mason University as a direct exchange student.
After this, I will go to France to attend language school to learn the language and its culture.

My journey will never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment